Many of us have to report to work at a at a specific time every day. Same goes for the time of leaving work. Flexibility is an important aspect for employees. This includes the willingness and the ability to respond to the changing circumstances. It involves the employer and the employee making changes to how, when and where a person will work for the betterment of an individual and the business.
Reasons why you need a flexible work schedule
1. Good for families :
For many professionals job flexibility is becoming a priority. Professionals who also have families need a more work-life balance as to be able to spend time with their families, take their children to school.
2. Good for mental health : mental health and work are intertwined. Work can cause severe mental issues but can also act as support mechanism. Poor mental health costs businesses millions of lost revenue. This can be curbed by providing employees with a flexible work schedule. Through this, those facing mental illness can spend more time getting treatment and focusing on what they need while maintaining their careers. When able to keep their jobs, it gives them something to work for.
3. Increases productivity : flexible working environment improves the productive work force. Flexibility is one of the main things that employees need. This promotes the well being and in turn promotes productivity as a happy employee is a productive one.
4. Change in technology : today’s flexibility at work is different from how it was in the past. An employee can be able to work from home or wherever they may be than working an extra time to replace the lost time. With the emergence of technology employees can be able to modify their approach to tasks according to preference of their employers and the demand of the situation.
5. Allows people to be in control : flexibility at work increases employees morale,engagement and their commitment at work. This can in turn reduce employees turnover and absentism. People have the tendency of working overtime when allowed to work in a flexible environment. Many choose to work part-time so that they can be able to have more control.
You can become flexible by:
1. Focusing on your core values
2. Be open to ideas
3. Be optimistic
4. Always be calm
5. Learning to plan ahead
6. Building a strong support network
Depending on the type of work, flexible schedule have both advantages and disadvantages. Before considering a flexible work schedule, looking at its advantages and disadvantages is an important part of making a decision of whether to consider a flexible job or not.
Advantages of a flexible work schedule
1. Reduced travelling expenses and time
2. Employees will have more control over time and working environment
3. Boosts morale
4. Reduced lateness for work and absentism
Disadvantages of a flexible work schedule
1. It is difficult for office based employees to work efficiently
2. There is no clear line between work and home
3. Some staff cannot work efficiently without supervision
4. other employees might see it as unfair when certain staff work remotely.