How to Start a Blog in Kenya and Earn money(Beginners Guide)
Want to build a career blogging in Kenya?
Let me just let you know that it’s possible to start a blog in Kenya and earn money.
What’s better than following your passion and making passive income in the comfort of your home?
Over the last 2 years, Shadrackbiwotkeyleafy has helped hundreds of users like you to start a blog of your own.
People start blogging for a number of reasons, and some most popular once are:
- Sharing the new learnings
- Documenting your thoughts
- Passive income
- Free gadgets and stuff for review
- Free travel
Your’s could be one of the above, or some other reasons, either way, blogging could help you achieve your goal.
So, without further delay, let’s learn how you can start a blog today.
A few things:
This is a detailed guide with some theory and practical knowledge. A bit of reading, and a bit of following steps to start your blog.
This is just one thing you need before we start:
- your domain name.
Note: You can always change your domain name in the future if you like.
In this guide, you will find answers to all these questions and will be able to start a blog in Kenya.
Here are the steps to start a blog in Kenya:
- Picking the blog topic(niche)
- Select the blogging platform
- Pick a domain name & hosting for your blog
- Install WordPress on the blog
- Setup the design of the blog
- Install the best WordPress plugins
- Write your first blog post
- Share your writeup with the world
- Monetize your blog
- Drive traffic and gain more exposure
Note: To make it easier for you to take action, I’m suggesting only those options in terms of platform hosting which are working for everyone in Kenya.
How To Start A Blog in Kenya From Scratch and with No Experience
This blogging guide is specifically for those of you who are just starting out and have got almost no knowledge about blogging.
In a few minutes, I guarantee you you’ll have your blog up and running.
1. Select a blogging platform
When starting out, the key thing you should keep in mind is where you wish to create your blog.
There are multiple blogging platforms out there, and people have different opinions about each of them.
Most of the Beginners in Kenya start blogging on the WordPress platform.
WordPress is popular because of it’s the ease of use.
Here is an interesting fact: a bigger percentage of the websites in the world are powered by WordPress.
Once you have crossed the testing period, you are ready to do something more meaningful. Get a WordPress blog, and don’t confuse yourself with WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress -blog.
A self-hosted WordPress blog (WordPress.org) is what you need.
2. Your niche(blog topic)
The very first thing you need to do is find the niche of your blog. By niche, I mean what your blog is going to be about.
I hope you don’t plan to blog about every random thing and make money. This isn’t going to work in 2021 and your chances of success are better when you blog on a specific topic.
Moreover, Google which is the biggest search engine prefers a website that is built on a single topic. For example, Shadrackbiwotkeyleafy’s topic of Shadrackbiwotkeyleafy is “blogging,” and that’s how you found us.
Now, the big question is
how to find the topic of your blog?
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Go for a topic that you have greater knowledge than anyone else. It doesn’t have to be necessarily what you’re currently majoring in.
- Make sure you have a greater interest in the topic of your choice and that you can be able to add value to it.
This is a critical step before starting a blog, as it will help you to pick a topic that you are most passionate about.
This will offer you the assurance that you won’t burn when your blog is up and running.
- How to choose a niche for your new blog?
- Single Topic vs. Multi-Topic Blog: Which is Better and Why?
To Conclude, Selecting the appropriate niche is the first and the most important step for starting a new blog in Kenya.
3. Select your domain and blog name
There are 4 rules when it comes to choosing a domain name:
- Easy to remember
- Easy to type
- Ease of pronunciation
- Easy to brand
A domain name is the URL of a blog that a visitor will use to open a blog.
For example; www.shadrackbiwotkeyleafy.co.ke
A custom domain name is like www.shadrackbiwotkeyleafy.co.ke, for which we need to pay Ksh1499/year.
You can use the Truehost domain suggestion feature to check if your domain name is available or not. Simply enter any word that you have picked for your blog and it will also show you available domain name suggestions.
In my opinion, the name of your blog is very crucial. You can also have a domain name under your own name, and it’s great for a personal portfolio or if you plan to make yourself a brand.
4. Choose a hosting provider
Now, let us build our blog on a hosting site.
Web-hosting is where WordPress will be installed. This is a server that stays online 24*7 and all your future blog images, your blog design, and everything will be stored on this server (hosting).
That is how your website will be up and running 24*7.
The good thing is, the hostings are cheap.
There are plenty of hosting service providers but for your blog:
Truehost is the idlest choice as it offers everything you need to create a blog in Kenya with features like:
- Free SSL
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited storage
- Easy to use cPanel.
- Live chat support
- 30 days money-back guarantee
And the best part, it only cost Ksh 1499/Year
Here is how to purchase it:
- Head over to Truehost.co.ke
Select the Silver hosting plan if you want to start one blog or the Gold plan if you want to start more than one blog.
On the next page, you can choose to register a new domain, transfer from a previous registrar, or use existing domains and update domain servers.
Pay special attention to package extras as you can skip a few things to save some money.
On the next page, you’ll fill out your contact details and your payment option. Under the payment information, you can pay via credit/debit card, bank transfer, Mpesa, airtel money, equitel or pay via PayPal.
Once you have made the payment, Truehost will create your blog in the next 10 minutes. This will be done automatically and saves a lot of trouble especially for beginners who just want a ready-made blog.
Once done you can ask the support team to help you install WordPress on your domain.
That means your blog is installed and now comes the amazing part which is something every beginner blogger enjoys.
5. Setup your blog
The best thing about Truehost is, the support team can help install the blog for you. However, you are not done, as you need to complete a few things before you will write your first blog post
To start setting up your blog for branding and make it perfect.
- Learn how to set up a WordPress blog for the first time.
6. Blog design
With everything else in check, it now narrows down to blog design.
Blog design is the most important aspect of your blog because a good design will ensure that your visitors will love your blog. In fact, that is how your readers will remember your blog. Take your blog design as you in a nice outfit.
In WordPress, there is a concept called “WordPress themes”. These are ready-made designs that are available for all types of blogs.
There are many Free and premium WordPress themes out there. I’d recommend going for a premium theme because you will get all the support and starter guide, and most of all, quality design for your blog.
Here are easy to use modern theme clubs which I would recommend you to start with.
- Astra theme: This is a lightweight theme that offers the template for all kinds of blogs. Once you install this theme, you can pick from the ready-made template and your blog design will be ready within 30-45 minutes. This is a perfect companion for any new WordPress blog. You can read the Astra review to learn everything about this versatile theme.
Read: How to Install a WordPress theme
7. Install essential plugins
There are thousands of WordPress plugins out there. Below I have mentioned only those plugins which you should install from day one.
Read: how to install a WordPress plugin.
Here are plugins which you should have on your newly created WordPress blog:
- Rank Math
- Jetpack by WordPress.com
- GDPR Cookie Consent
You can find a list of the best WordPress plugins here.
Essential plugins and tools for a successful blogging experience
8. Your content plan
Before you start writing your first blog post, you should make a content plan.
You can use an excel or use a Trello board. Here is a free Trello content planning board that you could use.
This Trello board also comes with a checklist to help you write the perfect article. Click on more on the right sidebar and click on the copy board.
In the article ideas, write down all the content that you could write. You can also create an outline of the content if you like.
It’s a good idea to do this in one sitting and next time you can start writing your content.
9. Your first post
Here are the guidelines to help you decide what your first blog post should be about.
- When you are writing your content, imagine there is a person sitting next to you, and you are talking to the person. Write in the first person tone, because there is a single person who is reading your blog.
- Your content should cover all the aspects of the topic you are writing about. Feel free to write 1000+ words.
- Do not copy images from Google. Rather use these sites to download free to use images.
10. Add essential pages to your blog
Here are some of the important pages, which you should have on your blog. You can add them over the course of the next few weeks…
- About page: Contains detail about your blog, and you.
- Contact page: A page with a contact form. You can use free contact form 7 or the Jetpack contact form feature to create a contact form on WordPress.
- Disclaimer page
- Disclosure page
- Terms and conditions
11. Drive-in blog traffic
Now that everything’s in place, you need to get traffic for your blog.
Follow the steps mentioned here and that will help your blog to be visible in Google search.
Now, there are many techniques that you can use to get traffic to your newly created blog.
- How To Promote Your Blog
12. Go social
Once you have established your blog, make your blog social so that your readers can join your community.
You just need to get started and no need to stress, I’m here to guide you with the best resources.
To get social with your blog, you need a Facebook page, Instagram account, Twitter account.
Here are resources, which will help you to get started here.
- How to create Facebook FanPage for your Blog
- How to create a Twitter profile
- How to form a community out of your blog
Now, Make money from blogging in easy steps
There are many ways by which your blog can earn passive income for you.
Here are some of the most popular ways:
- Google AdSense
- Affiliate marketing
- Sponsored content (Get paid for writing about others)
- Amazon affiliate program
- Direct ad sales
- Own digital products like eBooks, Online course
I have covered all these aspects of blogging money in this exclusive article: How to make money blogging
What Else you need to reach the next level of Blogging:
Learn SEO to drive in organic traffic
SEO is an advanced topic and it’s hard to complete it in a single article. Many newbies try not to concentrate on search engine optimization, and it’s a big mistake.
Search engine optimization helps you to drive targeted traffic from organic search, which in turn makes more money for you. There are three core parts of SEO:
- On-page SEO: Your content quality, Keyword placement, and other factors.
- On-Site SEO: Crawling, indexing of your website.
- Off-Site SEO: Backlinks from other sites.
With the evolution of SEO, I would also like to add two more here:
- Social signals: Social media plays a great role in improving your blog ranking. Google plus is proven to be the best social networking site to improve ranking.
- User experience: New Search engine optimization is all about giving a great user experience. Some of the key aspects of good user experience: Navigation, site loading, website design, readability, and so on.
Here are a couple of articles, which you should definitely read to learn about SEO: